It was narrated to us by my father رحمه الله, who said – it was narrated to us by Saʿd bin ʿAbd Allāh, who said – it was narrated to us by Aḥmed bin Moḥammed, from al-Ḥussain bin Saʿīd, from ibn Abī ʿUmayr, from Muʿawiyah bin Wahab, from ʿAmru bin Nahīk, from Salām al-Makki:
From Abī Jaʿfar al-Bāqir عليه السلام, who said: A man named Shaybah al-Hidhali1 came to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وآله and said: Oh Messenger of Allāh, I am an old man that has grown in age, and my strength has been weakened from the actions that I had habituated myself with from praying, fasting, pilgrimage and jihād; so teach me – oh Messenger of Allāh – some words that Allāh will benefit me with, and make it easy on me, oh Messenger of Allāh.
He replied: Repeat it.
So he repeated it three times.
Then the Messenger of Allāh صلى الله عليه وآله said: There is no tree or clod of mud around you that did not cry from your mercy.2 When you pray the morning prayers, say ten times: ‘Glory be to Allāh, the Mighty, and by His Mercy; there is no strength or power except through Allāh, the High, the Mighty’ (ṢubḥānAllāh al-ʿAdhīm wa biḥamdih, lā ḥowla wa lā quwata illa billah al-ʿAlī al-Adhīm). Indeed Allāh, Mighty and Majestic, will cure you with that from blindness, delirium, leprosy, poverty, and decrepitude.
He replied: Oh Messenger of Allāh, this is for this worldly life, but what about the hereafter?
He said: Say at the end of each prayer: ‘Oh Allāh, grant me from what is with You; and scatter upon me a portion of Your Bounties; and spread upon me a portion of Your Mercy; and bring down upon a portion of Your Blessings.
He (the narrator) said: He clinched them with his hand3 and then departed. Then a man said to ibn ʿAbbās:4 How tightly your uncle held onto what he clinched!
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وآله replied to them: If he comes on the Day of Judgement without intentionally abandoning it (i.e. the four statements), the eight doors of Paradise opens for him, and he enters it from whichever one he wishes.5
1. The name Shaybah al-Hidhali is the same in the version found in Thawāb al-Aʿmāl. However in al-Tahdhīb it is Shaybah al-Hadhīl and in al-Khiṣāl (which varies slightly in its contents – some which we will mention in the footnotes that follow) it is Qayṣah bin Mukhāriq al-Hilāli.
2. In a similar narration in al-Khiṣāl, it says ‘There is no tree or clod of mud around you that did not cry in mercy over you.’
3. He clinched them with his hand: Meaning he counted the four statements on his fingers and memorised them.
4. In al-Khiṣāl: Abū Bakr said to ʿUmar.
5. In al-Khiṣāl: The narration ends with one of the narrators within the chain, Abū Harmaz Nafiʿ bin ʿAbd Allāh al-Khorasāni, said that he narrated this narration to a neighbour of mine who was a friend of Ḥassan.6 He then narrated it to al-Ḥassan so he said to him: ‘Bring him (i.e. Nafiʿ) to me.’ So I went to him whereupon he asked me about the narration, so I narrated it to him. He said: ‘How valuable this narration of yours is to me, oh Khorasāni, and how worthless is it to you! By Allāh, a man had to ride a camel to Egypt to reach the possessor of this narration, where he said to him ‘I have not come to take anything from you.’ He then asked him about the narration and then left.’
6. According to the commentator in al-Khiṣāl, ʿAlī Akbar al-Ghaffāri, this is apparently referring to al-Ḥassan al-Baṣri.
حدثنا أبي ( رحمه الله ) ، قال : حدثنا سعد بن عبد الله ، قال : حدثنا أحمد بن محمد ، عن الحسين بن سعيد ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن معاوية بن وهب ، عن عمرو بن نهيك ، عن سلام المكي ، عن أبي جعفر الباقر ( عليه السلام ) ، قال : أتى رجل النبي ( صلى الله عليه وآله ) يقال له شيبة الهذلي ، فقال : يا رسول الله ، إني شيخ قد كبرت سني ، وضعفت قوتي عن عمل كنت قد عودته نفسي من صلاة وصيام وحج وجهاد ، فعلمني – يا رسول الله – كلاما ينفعني الله به ، وخفف علي يا رسول الله . فقال : أعدها . فأعادها ثلاث مرات ، فقال رسول الله ( صلى الله عليه وآله ) : ما حولك شجرة ولا مدرة إلا وقد بكت من رحمتك ، فإذا صليت الصبح فقل عشر مرات : سبحان الله العظيم وبحمده ، ولا حول ولا قوة إلا بالله العلي العظيم ، فإن الله عز وجل يعافيك بذلك من العمى والجنون والجذام والفقر والهرم . فقال : يا رسول الله ، هذا للدنيا ، فما للآخرة ؟ قال : تقول في دبر كل صلاة : اللهم اهدني من عندك ، وأفض علي من فضلك ، وانشر علي من رحمتك ، وأنزل علي من بركاتك . قال : فقبض عليهن بيده ثم مضى ، فقال رجل لابن عباس : ما أشد ما قبض عليها خالك ! فقال النبي ( صلى الله عليه وآله ) : أما إنه إن وافى بها يوم القيامة ، لم يدعها متعمدا ، فتحت له ثمانية أبواب من الجنة يدخلها من أيها شاء .